Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
What is Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder?
There are many ways of describing OCD because it can manifest in different ways in the individuals that are overcome with this debilitating condition. For some, it can be a continual fear based thought that can lead to extreme anxiety and other conditions that interrupt quality of life. OCD can also begin as a ritual that becomes repetitive. The most common are hand washing to avoid germs. The list of behaviors, rituals and recurring thoughts is extensive. This condition can create substantial disability in the individual and their family. Unfortunately most treatment involves medication and talk therapy. The medication is used to treat the anxiety and racing thoughts associated with OCD. The medication can reduce some of the OCD symptoms but does not actually treat the underlying cause of the condition.
What causes OCD?
Recently studies that focus on OCD have found a causal connection with specific areas in the midbrain. Understanding how this area of the brain can contribute to OCD requires an understanding of the systems in the brain and how to evaluate them with safe and effective testing protocols. At Unique Mind Care our focus is the brain and understanding its role in all mental and behavioral health issues. Our brain mapping process and other testing protocols provide our clients with a clear understanding of where and what the underlying cause of the OCD condition may be. Additional investigation will focus on the rituals and repetitive thoughts associated with the individuals OCD and its impact in their daily life. Talk therapy can be very helpful when trying to understand all of the various contributors to the brain based disorder associated with OCD.
What Are the Symptoms of OCD?
Common obsessive thoughts can include:
- Fear of dirt or germs
- Fear of causing harm to another
- Fear of making a mistake
- Fear of being embarrassed
- Fear of evil or sinful thoughts
- Obsession with order or exactness
- Continual doubt with low confidence
- Need for constant reassurance
Common compulsions include:
- Constant bathing, showering and washing hands
- Refusing to shake hands or
- Refusing to touch doorknobs or handles
- Repeatedly checking locks, doors, and stoves
- Constant counting mentally or aloud
- Constantly arranging things in a certain way
- Repeating specific words, phrases, or prayers
- Need to perform tasks a certain number of times
- Collecting or hoarding items with no value
How we treat the brain for OCD
All treatment at Unique Mind Care begins with a complete testing protocol related to the brain and all areas of life that may be contributing to the OCD. Our primary focus will begin with testing the 2 systems in the brain; the electrical (EEG) and the chemical Neurotransmitters. After these tests and others are complete, a full review of all factors causing the OCD will be reviewed in detail with the client. A complete personalized treatment plan will then be developed.
An effective treatment plan for OCD will involve a combination of the following therapies treatments.
- QEEG functional Brain Map
- Nexalin Technology – will reset networks associated with Anxiety
- Neurofeedback – Trains the brain to establish new healthy networks
- Neurofield – PEMF – pulsed magnetic stimulation
- Coaching – to address personal and professional issues
- Functional Assessment Questionnaire (FAQ) a profile of health systems and symptoms that support brain health
- Specific lab tests based on FAQ diagnosis
Unlocking Your Potential To A Better Life.
The Right Methods. The Right Solution.
At Unique Mind Care we believe all health, not just mental health depends on brain health. We believe in resetting and retraining problem areas of the brain by designing treatment protocols that amplify the brain’s ability to heal itself.
Resets networks in the brain associated with Anxiety, Depression and other related brain health issues.
NEXALINResets networks in the brain associated with Anxiety, Depression and other related brain health issues.
A complete evaluation of the functional health of the brain that is used to design personalized treatment plans.
BRAIN MAPPINGA complete evaluation of the functional health of the brain that is used to design personalized treatment plans.
Utilizes Pulsed Magnetic energy at specific frequencies to amplify the brain’s ability to resolve issues associated with trauma.
NEUROFIELDUtilizes Pulsed Magnetic energy at specific frequencies to amplify the brain’s ability to resolve issues associated with trauma.
Brain Health Testing
Focus on the brain body connection by testing the health systems in the body that contribute to imbalances in the brain.
Brain Health TestingFocus on the brain body connection by testing the health systems in the body that contribute to imbalances in the brain.
Unique Treatments. Unique To Houston.